Metal gauze refers to a substance with a pore structure made of pure metal or metal and other materials. In addition to the properties of ordinary metals, metal gauzes also have some other advantages, such as filterability, large bearing capacity, and strong ability to adapt to deformation.
Due to the advantages of rich sources, cheap construction cost and abundant functions, metal gauzes have a wide range of applications in the construction industry, biomedicine, separation, petrochemical and other fields.
- Biomedical: Medical X-ray cassettes, intensifying screens, and films are important tools in X-ray photography. The X-ray cassette, the intensifying screen and the film must be in close contact with each other, and their adhesion should be in a good state; otherwise the photo image will appear blurred or partially blurred. In the X-ray photography work, confirming whether the contact between the cassette, the intensifying screen and the film is good, and whether the parts are evenly and tightly attached are the basic guarantees for obtaining high-quality X-ray photos. Using the X-ray metal gauze as the gauze of the intensifying screen can improve the adhesion between the cassette, the intensifying screen and the film, thereby facilitating the X-ray photography work. With the continuous maturation of total hip arthroplasty (THA), the effective repair of bone defects in the acetabulum has been successfully implemented, and the number of total hip arthroplasty is also increasing. Reconstruction of the anatomical structure of the acetabulum will directly affect the stability and long-term effect of the revision prosthesis, and is the key factor for the success of hip revision surgery. The use of metal gauze in the reconstruction of acetabular defects in particle compression bone grafting and structural bone grafting has significant advantages, so it has been widely used in clinical practice. In addition, some metal gauze s can be used to make medical sterilization baskets, and some metal gauzes can also be used to make biosensors.
Figure 1. Medical sterilization basket made of metal gauze
- Separation: The metal gauze has the advantages of reliable filtering accuracy, regular mesh, high temperature resistance, chemical resistance, strong mechanical properties, and precise preparation. Therefore, metal gauze is often an important substrate for the preparation of functional separation materials. In general, the traditional metal gauze is widely used in solid-liquid separation (filtration). In recent years, metal gauzes with special surface properties have also shown great application value in liquid-liquid separation. For example, spraying a homogeneous emulsion on the surface of a stainless steel gauze and then drying it at high temperature can obtain a gauze film with a rough structure coating on the surface. By using the difference between the contact angle of the omentum and water and diesel, the separation of diesel and water mixture can be well achieved.
Figure 2. Metal gauze for filtration
- Daily life: Metal gauze is widely used in daily life, and some household filter devices are often made of metal gauze. For example, the "photocatalyst" antibacterial nickel metal gauze obtained by inlaying nano-sized photocatalyst material TiO2 in a foamed nickel metal mesh with a special process has the advantages of sterilization, deodorization, good stability and long life. It is often used to make components for central air conditioners.
According to the different specifications, the metal mesh can be divided into plain weave mesh, twill weave mesh, type filter mesh, cylinder mesh, woven strip screen, welded fan cover mesh and so on.
- A.V. Porsin. (2015). "Catalytic reactor with metal gauze catalysts for combustion of liquid fuel." Chemical Engineering Journal 251(21), 233-240.
- S. V. Belov. (1978), "Structural and hydraulic characteristics of porous metal gauze materials." Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics 17 (7), 533-536.
- Shchepochkin A M. (1974), "Effectiveness of purifying the air of bacteria and molds with a dust collecting apparatus and metal gauze rotating filters." Gigiena i sanitariia 98-9.