Material building blocks are replaceable parts that actually exist in a system, which realize specific functions. In different fields, the requirements for material building blocks are different, but they often have some common properties. The first is usefulness, which means that any material building block must provide useful functionality. The second is availability, which means that any material building blocks must be able to be used in the system. Finally, material building blocks must be adaptable, that is, they should not only be suitable for a particular system alone, but should work in different systems and environments.
Different materials building blocks can be made from different materials, so the variety is very rich. Different material building blocks have very different properties and therefore perform different functions. So, material building blocks are used in many fields, especially in mechanical construction, software engineering and textile printing and dyeing.
- Machinery: Material building blocks are widely used in the field of machinery. In the field of machinery, each basic unit that constitutes a structure and has a definite relative motion relationship with each other is constructed by material building blocks. For example, the crank, connecting rod, slider and rack in the crank slider structure are all constructed from different material building blocks.
- Electronics: Material building blocks are also widely used in the field of electronics. For example, liquid crystal building blocks are a very important class of material building blocks. In the field of electronics, it can be used to make calculators, electronic watches, fax machines, household appliances and car navigators.
Figure 1. Electronic display screen made of liquid crystal building blocks
- Textile printing and dyeing: Phthalocyanine building blocks are a kind of material building blocks, which play an extremely important role in the field of textile printing and dyeing. It can be used for dyeing cotton, silk, paper, etc.
Figure 2. Phthalocyanine building blocks
- Other areas: In addition to the above-mentioned areas, material building blocks have applications in software engineering, aerospace, biomedicine, and organic chemistry. For example, material building blocks can be used as ligand for functional of metal complexes. These metal complexes can be used to prepare catalysts that catalyze a wide variety of chemical reactions.
- Katiyar, Rohit. (2019), "Investigation of dielectric and electro-optical parameters of high birefringent nematic liquid crystal doped with TiO2 nanoparticles and its applicability toward liquid crystal displays." Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals 591(1), 50-61.
- Zhao, Ming. (2015). "Synthesis and application of soluble near-infrared absorption amino phthalocyanine dyes." Huagong Xuebao (Chinese Edition) 66(4), 1577-1584.
- Schneider, Michael. (2017), "Nanostructured ZnFeZr oxyhydroxide precipitate as efficient phosphate adsorber in waste water: understanding the role of different material-building-blocks." Environmental Science: Nano Volume4 1, 180-190.